Thursday 10 November 2011

A young, inexperienced soldier

It had been such a fine day; the sun was out, the sky, a clear blue. We sat hunched against the trench wall, the rats nearly the size of cats, feasting off the remains of dead soldiers, gorging out their eyes, ripping out their innards. While we slept at night you could feel them scurrying along your face and all over your body.
“Hey, you think there’ll be any attacks today?” Jack asked. Jack was my older brother and we decided to enlist in the army together, our parents were so proud. We had only been here for a few days but there had been no attacks, this would be an adventure, not as bad at all!
I laughed and playfully punched him on the shoulder. “Of course not! Calm down Jack!”.  I closed my eyes, enjoying the warmth of the sun.
*
 “Hurry up Charlie! Get your gas mask on! My eyes snapped open. What was going on? The sky was dark. Large, heavy raindrops landed on my face.
“There’s been a gas attack! Hurry!” I panicked. I had left my gas mask back at camp. I really didn’t think there would be any attacks today. What was I going to do? A hand grabbed my shoulder, I tensed. It was Jack.
 “Take it!” Jack proclaimed while shoving the masks in my hands.
 I hesitated.
“B-but... what about yo-”
“Don’t worry about me. I’ll be fine.”
 I shook my head, but he forced the mask onto my face. I stared back at him, helpless.
 “Goodbye” he mouthed.

No comments:

Post a Comment